Every time a child says, "I don't believe in fairies," there is a fairy somewhere that falls down dead.
James Matthew Barrie, Peter Pan

Thursday, August 23, 2012

thinking positively...

So of course with great joy, a baby, comes some amount of niggling worry. At least it always does for me. We had our anatomy scan yesterday and the Dr saw 2 markers for Down Syndrome. One was a 2 vessel umbilical cord, the other a bright spot on the heart. Apparently these on their own are not a huge cause for concern, but together they could signal a chromosomal issue with the baby. I did some blood tests which take a few weeks to come back - which will tell us if the baby has Down Syndrome - that with my stats of a 1 in 250'000 chance isn't likely. Then in 5 weeks I'm having an fetal ecg to check for abnormalities in the heart. If that's clear then all we have to worry about is the cord issue. I'll also be having a growth scan on that day. After 30 wks I'll have fortnightly growth scans and non stress tests etc. At 37 weeks I'll be having an amnio for lung maturity and if all well delivering then to avoid any further cord issues. It's going to be a long 4 months, but here's hoping at the end of it - a healthy baby girl will come into this world and into this loving family who are all praying for her safety.

No comments:

Post a Comment