Every time a child says, "I don't believe in fairies," there is a fairy somewhere that falls down dead.
James Matthew Barrie, Peter Pan

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Operation Bluebird

Before moving to our slightly more rural lodgings here in Rockland County, we lived in Brooklyn, NYC. Some might think there isn't much in the way of wildlife to be had in the city - but they'd be wrong. A little wrong anyway! Growing up in Scotland where wildlife is abundant, I certainly had that opinion of city living, enforced after a spell living in London where all I saw were pigeons and on one occasion a fox. However in Brooklyn we regularly had a large possum in our back yard, so much so we named him Pete! We had the (dis)pleasure of meeting several racoons, and the joy of being able to feed Cardinals and Blue Jays most days. There were the usual finches and once even a bright yellow Goldfinch. One of the draws for me about moving out of the city was definitely being able to see more wildlife. We haven't been disappointed. So far we've been treated to many visits from deer, rabbits, skunk (not so welcome!), groundhogs, turkey vultures, hawks and coyotes. But it's the small birds I love. Apart I might say from owls which will always be welcome, especially of the Great Horned variety. In the bird department we have many different Woodpeckers, Cardinals, Blue Jays, Carolina Wrens, Hermit Wrens, Tufted Titmouse, Hummingbirds, Nuthatches, Chickadees, Black Eyed Juncos, Oriole,  Robins... and a lot more that I'm forgetting! But there is one we do not have, even though they are all over the Hudson Valley - the Bluebird. So my mission this year is to finally get one here - you know how it goes - photo or it didn't happen!
I'm going to start by putting a nesting box out front on a very large, old maple, it faces the house and has an expansive piece of grassland out there, conditions I've heard they like. The pond is in sight if they fly around a bit, and I'll put out some meal worms.. apparently that's what they eat. Not sure what else to do but I'm crossing my fingers that will be enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment