Every time a child says, "I don't believe in fairies," there is a fairy somewhere that falls down dead.
James Matthew Barrie, Peter Pan

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

the fairy of the bird world is heading our way!

So growing up in lovely Scotland, which has lets be fair Highland Cows - so we win right? But anyway back to the point - we are sadly lacking in the Hummingbird department.  The first time I ever saw one, was 8 years ago in Upstate New York, at my Mother in Laws house.  I was instantly hooked on hummers! I love the way they appear from nowhere and are gone in a flash. They truly are the fairy of the bird world. In 8 yrs living in NYC I didn't see one hummingbird, not one, garden, park, shore - zip zero.  One of the (many) things I am excited for in the coming months is witnessing the first one in my garden here.  After looking for a while, and really hating all these nasty plastic feeders I've settled on an antique bottle one, with a copper base. I just can't wait to fill it and hang it by the window - I already have a quiet but highly visible spot for it all worked out!  And this map shows - they are on their way! So happy about hummers!

No comments:

Post a Comment